THE INTER LIVERY GOLF TOURNAMENT
THE PRINCE ARTHUR CUP
Livery Companies Golfing Society
The annual Inter Livery Golf Tournament – the largest one day, two course, amateur tournament in
the UK – was first held in 1927 at Walton Heath Golf Club.
That was the year in which Prince Arthur of Connaught was invited to become a guest of the
Coachmakers’ Livery Company and then went on to accept the Freedom and Livery of the Company
later that year. He was subsequently elected Assistant and showed such an interest in the Company
that he became Master in 1932.
But his admission in 1927 to the Coachmakers was a great honour and to commemorate the event,
the Master Arthur Hungerford Pollen presented the Coachmakers’ Company with the Prince Arthur
Cup – an impressive silver gilt trophy that would be competed for annually by the Livery Companies
of London in a foursomes’ golf tournament.
The first tournament at Walton Heath, which saw Companies represented by two pairs playing two
rounds of golf, was won by the Butchers Company. As time went on, more Companies participated
and the event was held at a number of different golf clubs before St George’s Hill became the venue
from 1930 to 1958, then Wentworth from 1960 to 1978. The Prince Arthur Cup returned to Walton
Heath in 1979 and the event has been held there ever since.
There are now 54 teams participating – the maximum that can be accommodated – which means
216 players currently take part in what has developed into one of the City Liveries’ most prestigious
and fiercely contested annual sporting events.
Since there are 108 Livery Companies and only 54 can compete in any one year, a little spice is
added in that the 12 Companies with the lowest scores retire to allow new competitors to enter the
Contact: Richard Wormell
Honorary Secretary: The Livery Companies Golfing Society
Address: 6 Beltran Road, Fulham, London SW6 3AJ
Tel: 020 7731 3277 Mobile 07989 554 684 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org